TORRANCE, Calif., Jan. 23, 2015 — Lexus is proud to announce 19 recipients of the 2014 Lexus Verses and Flow Scholarship. The new scholarship program is presented in partnership with ten of the nation’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) and is an expansion of the groundbreaking “Verses and Flow” program, featuring poetry, spoken word and music. Each scholarship recipient will be awarded $5,000 in recognition of their community leadership and academic excellence.
The recipients of the Lexus Verses and Flow scholarship are:
- Clark Atlanta University – Adisha Penn and Marquea Alexander
- Florida A&M University (Tallahassee, Fla.) – Tatyana Smith and Zemoria Johnson
- Grambling State University (Grambling, La.) – Tamaika LaRocque and Prentiss Smiley
- Hampton University (Hampton, Va.) – Tommie Collins
- Howard University (Washington D.C.) – Alana Jones and Ayanna McFarland
- LeMoyne-Owen College (Memphis, Tenn.) – Ashanti Carr and Tashika James
- Morehouse College (Atlanta) – Oren Davidson and Timothy Tukes
- North Carolina A&T University (Greensboro, N.C.) – Adriana Sawyer and Garner Stewart
- Spelman College (Atlanta) – Chelsea Banks and Shelby Smith
- Xavier University (New Orleans) – Anh Nguyen and Hallie O’Quine
“In alignment with the Lexus Pursuit of Potential initiative to support our youth, we are proud of the work these scholarship recipients are doing in school and in their communities,” said Brian Smith, Lexus vice president, marketing. “These HBCU student leaders have the tools to succeed and we expect they’ll do great things for society in the future.”
The launch of the scholarship coincided with the fourth season of “Lexus Verses and Flow,” the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) Image Award-nominated variety show. Lexus Verses and Flow was broadcast on TV One. Blending electrifying musical and soul-stirring spoken word performances, the eight-episode season featured mega-watt stars Maxwell, K. Michelle, Joe, Johnny Gill,Ruben Studdard, Candice Glover, Gary Clark Jr., Sebastian Mikael, Leela James, Anthony Hamilton, Alice Smith, and Mali Music alongside more than 25 of the best up-and-coming poets http://lexus.us/1BUyohA .
For complete information about the Lexus Verses and Flow Scholarship and a list of the participating HBCUs please visit: http://luxuryawaits.com.
Lexus launched in 1989 with two luxury sedans and a commitment to pursue perfection. Since that time, Lexus has expanded its line-up to meet the needs of global luxury customers. Lexus is now going beyond its reputation for high quality vehicles with the integration of innovative technology, emotional exterior and interior designs, and engaging driving dynamics and performance. With six models incorporating Lexus Hybrid Drive, Lexus is the luxury hybrid leader. Lexus also offers seven F SPORT models and one F performance model. In the United States, Lexus vehicles are sold through 234 dealers who are committed to exemplary customer service.